Monday 25 April 2011

Washing Day

   Home again , Home again, Jiggiddy Jog. I kept holding my breath waiting for something foolish to happen on our trip home - but nothing did. Planes were all in working order, connections made, baggage arrived in one piece - it had me jittery everytime I anticipated something going wrong. But we're home now - safe and sound and almost everything is here. We still await the delivery of our beautiful glass goblets from Venice.
   Stopped long enough on the drive home to get a few basics- milk, bread, easter eggs - and then it was dump everything in the front hall and send the kids to bed. We barely had the strength to let the easter rabbit do his thing before collapsing ourselves. Ah sleep - until our bodies told us it was way later than it was. The one benefit of jet lag is you find yourself awake early and easily which will help when the kids go back to school. And I can enjoy the quiet of an early morning - until that is everyone else decides to join me. Oh well. It'll wear off soon enough.
    The trip has been wonderful. We saw things, ate things and bought things we would never at home and I know from the kid's conversations with their cousins yesterday that a lot sunk in. It's the sort of trip you remember for a lifetime. Well worth the hideous dent in my bank account, and the display of items covered the dining room table when I unpacked it all. We have happily given some away to family and tomorrow the kids will haul their gifts to school for their friends. But the rest will have to find room on our shelves. Thankfully I had removed an old shelf unit in the dining room in anticipation of building a newer one - guess I'll need to add proper display cabinets to it now. After all - Murano glass deserves a well lit case.
    Now it's all about the laundry. I have loads from my mother, and our travel clothes, and bed linens and towels from the girl who stayed here nights to keep the animals company, and there was still stuff from before the trip and it spring so I have all the clothes that have spent the winter sitting in boxes in the attic to refresh. I predict a session lasting over two days and approx. 16 loads. At least while we were gone the in-laws dropped by and did a little housecleaning for us. My kitchen is great, and the front and side yards all raked. Now to get to the dust and debris everywhere else.  Perhaps I need to get going - after all it's already past 7 am - the day is a wasting!

No comments:

Post a Comment