Sunday 17 July 2011

Spagetti Dinner - Round Two.

Okay - well taking a page from last time, the first night the girls arrived I arranged NOT to have Spagetti. This time I figured hotdogs and nachos. We had a quick chat about not dropping food on Maryanne's head, no one was to throw any cheese around and if we were all careful dinner wouldn't disolve into the pandemonium it had the first time.  As a meal it wasn't the most nutritious - but considering that this time I had just come from running a day camp and then tearing in to town to pick up my son from his day camp and not even getting everyone to the house until almost 6pm - I think hot dogs were a great idea. Even better idea - it was a meal the two twelve year olds could actually cook. They did a terrific job. Arthur kept Nichelle organized and like a true chef barked his commands clearly. " More cheese, no now we need the salsa". And yet somehow Maryanne still ended up with tomato on her clothes. Oh well.
So you're wondering why I abdicated my cooking duties? I was in the backyard catching up with my landscaper. This past spring a strong wind blew through town and took down several fences. Ours was one of them. Then, like in the story "if you give a mouse a cookie", we saw it as an opportunity to do a little more than just replace the fence. Unfortunately, that led to more and more and more. Now my backyard is torn up, with no access to our pool and the temperature is climbing. ARGH!
Finally it was time to start bedtimes. When I went to change the twins I discovered that despite two adults supervising all day long - neither of them had actually double checked that EVERYTHING was packed. So at 9 pm I'm madly searching for fresh pull-ups, wipes and then after numerous failed attempts to reach their father, I drove back to the in-laws to retrieve them. Now it's almost 10 and I'm just pulling out the bedtime stories when Audrey pipes up - "I want milk" - No sippy cups. I'd thrown out mine some time ago - drat! This time their father was home and he arrived like the calvary deliverying nighttime sippys. I'm not sure who fell alseep faster - the twins, the older kids I pushed to bed not 30 minutes later or myself.

Friday morning -  My able assistant arrived at 7am. Good thing, Arthur and his father left soon after to drive him to his last day of computer camp, Miriam and I piled yet more supplies into my car and headed out to Stage Camp leaving Kim to supervise breakfast and getting dressed and then going back to the in-laws. The plan is that because I have heavy equippment in my backyard it's safer and easier for the girls to return home during the days where they have their own games, and backyard. It's a great way to run Camp Aunt.
Friday evening we tackled the spagetti. This time everyone managed to keep things on their plates, no cheese went flying all over me, no dessert or milk was spilt. Then we divied up the chores after dinner. The older kids did dishes, walked dogs, the younger ones tidied up the dog toys they had happily spread everywhere. Bedtime came and this time we had everything we needed- so with some help from the hubby - we had people asleep easily.

Now the fun begins. For the weekend - there are just us and a load of chores. Miriam still needs to be packed for two weeks at over night camp, There's the fair, my mother's place to continue to sort and now people are enquiring about renting it - so I have to get it ready, and , of course, getting Miriam to camp. My very best friend owns a farm nearby - so I begged a favour. Could we stop in and see her and could I bring a hoard of kids with me. Anything to break up the day. And Kim, bless her, offered to help. She actually volunteered to accompany me to the fair so that Garland could get the shopping and cooking done. I happily fall upon her offer. It's all set. Saturday morning I do apartment stuff, then the afternoon we tackle the fair. Sunday is drive to Parnham and hopefully we'll survive. Wish us well!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment